Psycopg 2.9 released
Psycopg 2.9 has been released!
This is a relatively small release compared to previous major releases. However the creation of the packages took a lot of effort. The previously used CI system now has reduced support for free software projects - it was decided that package building should be moved to GitHub Actions.
Packaging has also become more complex because of the evolution of the Python packaging standards and the need to support multiple architectures (Intel, ARM, PPC...).
Maintaining a project such as Psycopg requires a lot of effort. For this reason, we are extremely grateful to all our sponsors who are enabling the maintenance and development of Psycopg. Thank you very much!
What’s new in psycopg 2.9
- with connection starts a transaction on autocommit transactions too (ticket #941).
- Timezones with fractional minutes are supported on Python 3.7 and following (ticket #1272).
- Escape table and column names in copy_from() and copy_to().
- Connection exceptions with sqlstate 08XXX reclassified as OperationalError (a subclass of the previously used DatabaseError) (ticket #1148).
- Include library dirs required from libpq to work around MacOS build problems (ticket #1200).
- Dropped support for Python 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 (ticket #1198, ticket #1000, ticket #1197).
- Dropped support for mx.DateTime.
- Use datetime.timezone objects by default in datetime objects instead of FixedOffsetTimezone.
- The psycopg2.tz module is deprecated and scheduled to be dropped in the next major release.
- Provide PEP 599 wheels packages (manylinux2014 tag) for i686 and x86_64 platforms.
- Provide PEP 600 wheels packages (manylinux_2_24 tag) for aarch64 and ppc64le platforms.
- Wheel package compiled against OpenSSL 1.1.1k and PostgreSQL 13.3.
- Build system for Linux/MacOS binary packages moved to GitHub Actions.