Psycopg 2.8 released
After about two years from the previous major release, psycopg 2.8 is finally here!
Among the highlights, PostgreSQL errors are now mapped to Python exceptions for a more idiomatic way to handle them. Several additions allow a better insight of the connection status and query results.
Behind the scene, asynchronous communication and concurrency received several improvements, and dropping support for older versions of Python gave the chance to refactor and modernise the codebase (with the especial help from Jon Dufresne who ruthlessly butchered our code into a streamlined pulp).
Thank you very much to everyone contributing so far. Happy hacking!
You can download as usual from the canonical urls:
Or just use pip:
pip install psycopg2
- Added errors module. Every PostgreSQL error is converted into a specific exception class (ticket #682).
- Added encrypt_password() function (ticket #576).
- Added BYTES adapter to manage databases with mixed encodings on Python 3 (ticket #835).
- Added table_oid and table_column attributes on cursor.description items (ticket #661).
- Added connection.info object to retrieve various PostgreSQL connection information (ticket #726).
- Added get_native_connection() to expose the raw PGconn structure to C extensions via Capsule (ticket #782).
- Added pgconn_ptr and pgresult_ptr to expose raw C structures to Python and interact with libpq via ctypes (ticket #782).
- sql.Identifier can represent qualified names in SQL composition (ticket #732).
- Added ReplicationCursor.wal_end attribute (ticket #800).
- Added fetch parameter to execute_values() function (ticket #813).
- str() on Range produces a human-readable representation (ticket #773).
- DictCursor and RealDictCursor rows maintain columns order (ticket #177).
- Added severity_nonlocalized attribute on the Diagnostics object (ticket #783).
- More efficient NamedTupleCursor (ticket #838).
- Fixed connections occasionally broken by the unrelated use of the multiprocessing module (ticket #829).
- Fixed async communication blocking if results are returned in different chunks, e.g. with notices interspersed to the results (ticket #856).
- Fixed adaptation of numeric subclasses such as IntEnum (ticket #591).
- Dropped support for Python 2.6, 3.2, 3.3.
- Dropped psycopg1 module.
- Dropped deprecated register_tstz_w_secs() (was previously a no-op).
- Dropped deprecated PersistentConnectionPool. This pool class was mostly designed to interact with Zope. Use ZPsycopgDA.pool instead.
- Binary packages no longer installed by default. The psycopg2-binary package must be used explicitly.
- Dropped PSYCOPG_DISPLAY_SIZE build parameter.
- Dropped support for mxDateTime as the default date and time adapter. mxDatetime support continues to be available as an alternative to Python's builtin datetime.
- No longer use 2to3 during installation for Python 2 & 3 compatibility. All source files are now compatible with Python 2 & 3 as is.
- The psycopg2.test package is no longer installed by python setup.py install.
- Wheel package compiled against OpenSSL 1.0.2r and PostgreSQL 11.2 libpq.